Google Plus is great and I love it. Listing some areas where the product needs to get better:
Redundancy in the system:
Google has been aggregating my social data (contacts, pics, shares, etc) through its various services since almost 7-8 years now. It would be nice if I had the choice of moving this data to Plus, thus eliminating all redundancy. e.g.:
- Either integrate buzz with G+ or discontinue it. Why should I have two separate sharing streams? [Well, no more!!]
- I have tons of valuable pictures in my Orkut albums. Why can’t I export them to G+? [I can now, 🙂]
Exploiting Current Google Infrastructure:
It’s nice to see Picassa, oops, Google Photos adapted to G+. It would be even better to see other Google services employed for few missing chunks in Plus:
- Google Books: I want to share my reads (and even specific quotes), check what my friends are reading, know who all in my circles like a specific book, write and share reviews of the books I love.
- YouTube: One button shares from YouTube are a must. Moreover, YouTube should be to Videos what Google Photos is to Pictures. If I want to share my YouTube channel with (and only with) my Circles it should be achievable very similarly to as it is in Photos. Though I never understood why YouTube is treated as a third party video service (e.g. it requires separate login credentials). [now shares, and live hangouts]
- Google Calendar: I want to schedule events within my Circles. Period.
- Google Reader: Right now items shared from Reader go to my Buzz stream. They should go to my G+ stream. I don’t want to first copy the link and then paste it in my + profile.
- Search: You already might be doing something about incorporating Plus related changes to web search results cause you have pulled Real Time off. But I really need to know how fascinating my “friends” from the gym found this new movie that I want to watch. If they loved it I am avoiding it like plague. [They’ve done it 🙂]
- Google Answers: This might be a good time to unearth some graves.
Be aware that people will use G+ extensively for functions you might not have expected. Make sure your product evolves to facilitate these functions more effectively.
- As a substitute to mail: It is easier to click the share box (from wherever in the Google-verse you are), add the message or link and share (micro-mails) with your buddy than going to my inbox, composing a mail, typing the subject as well as the body and then sending it to his/her email id. Mailing will get scaled to official communications.
- Blogging: We notice you have not kept any limitation on the size of one’s post. And we will exploit it to share our ramblings. Got space. Will blog. (And +1, share, re-share)
Thanks for giving us a better social platform.