Not sure if this is something that people do not know already. I would still like to share this precious find, even at the cost of sounding like a moron.
System: I have a wordpress blog with K2 Theme (Fixed – Two Columns)
Requirement: I wanted to increase the column width so that blog covers a larger area in the browser window.
Solution (which I could not find after hours of googling ): Edit the style.css file.
Caveat: May not work well if you have flexible columns
Here are the steps:
- Go to the Editor section under Appearance
- Select the style.css file
- Scroll to locate “columns-one #page”
- Edit the value mentioned for width for columns-one, columns-two and columns-three as per your requirement.
- Scroll further below to locate #primary
- Edit the value mentioned for width for primary as per your requirement.
- Save the file
Step 4 will change the width of the three columns of your blog. Step 6 will change the width of the text displayed in the first column. I increased the value of all 4 width variables by 200. Take a look at my blog to judge the result. I am sure similar changes can be applied to other themes on wordpress to increase the width of your blog. Happy Blogging!!